Thursday 10 January 2008

Entertainment

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year was "To be involved." (The others were: To be more fiscally responsible, To be healthier, To be nicer, and To write in my journal [real one, not heartless electronic version].) Now, while the others are all fairly self explanatory, Being Involved is a multi-faceted resolution which covers many aspects of my life.
At a recent audition, I was subjected to an hour long lecture about the importance of being aware and involved in the various artistic and cultural activities that take place around us every day - to see plays and movies and concerts and read books and hear lectures and to generally to be a well informed and interesting person, so as to better enrich one's mind and therefore create better art. This made perfect sense to me. Unfortunately, while I generally like to think of myself as a well informed and interesting person, the fact is that I have only seen about four movies in the last twelve months and one of those was Bee Movie. What's worse is that when anyone asks me what good movies I've seen/books I've read recently I tend to go completely blank and wind up mumbling something about "Well, I haven't seen it yet, but I heard Elizabeth is meant to be good..."
Thusly, my Be Involved resolution includes, amongst other things, seeing more good movies and reading more good books and seeing plays and other culturally and academically enriching activities - and probably by association, I should give up giving over huge chunks of my time to watching things like Friends and Gray's Anatomy.
So I don't wind up forgetting everything and embarassing myself at the next audition (having to admit to NIDA that I haven't seen a single Australian film all year was NOT an experience I care to repeat, even if I did try to explain that I wasn't IN the country for nine months) I'm going to write it all down. Here. I'll be like my own little Margaret and David.

2 comments:

vanessa said...

hahahahaha Elizabeth was good! See it! (but when you've seen it and you think 'um where was the plot? what happened?' dont complain, just think back to the scene where she's on the horse and all will be forgiven, surely they dont have enough resources to make such a beautiful film AND have it make sense).

Fancy Feff said...

Well, I've seen Elizabeth, but not the sequel. That's how confused I tend to get...

Followers

About Me

My photo
You see, the thing is, I have a lot of thoughts. I think I have more thoughts than the average person. And while you are getting a highly censored version of my thoughts here, I feel like I at least want my trivial musings to have some sort of semi permanent area, where, if necessary, I can return to and admire my own wit and wisdom.