Tuesday 17 June 2008

Some Things On My Mind At The Moment

  1. Looming exams and lack of preparation for said
  2. Increasing expansion of waistline and lack of activity to counteract said.
  3. Exploding wardrobe
  4. Disappearing bank balance due to exploding wardrobe
  5. What to do during the summer holidays
  6. Moving out - yay or nay?
  7. The fact that the ability to predict the future would greatly resolve much of this anxiety
  8. The fact that predicting the future is impossinle, thusly leaving me to my own devices --> increased change of fucking up and making Wrong Choices.

During high school I think I struggled with decisions less. Maybe I knew what I wanted more. Actually I think I was just less aware of my options. These days I see options spread around me in every aspect of my life, from what to wear in the morning to what cleanser to use to what to do on my holidays to what to do with my life. It might seem like a quantum leap from fashion to life-path but I think it's the same attitude both equally stressful. It's a lack of ability to distinguish combined with a plethora of choice. It's the inability to prioritise combined with the impatience of youth. It's the desire to experience combined with the desire to get it right the first time round.

I seem to labour under the delusion that I have limited time. I mean, I do. We all do. We are mortal. But what I mean is, my life, my choices, my chances, my options, my development physically, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, professionally, sartorially - it doesn't stop at 23 or 25 or 30. But then I don't want to get to those ages and feel I've missed out on doing something important.

I think this choice anxiety is couple with the knowledge - or perhaps the misguided belief, who can say - that to make it as an actor - as a female actor - you have to get in there young. And I don't want to me that person who sits around for how many years talking about a dream without actually going out to do something about it.

I guess the scariest part is that it's usually not until you've made it that you can see that the choice was the wrong one. I think I am congenitally afraid of failure. But not doing something because you might fail is but a short step away from not doing anything at all. I believe the Chinese say we must not be afraid of growing slowly, only of standing still. I agree with that in sentiment but I think in practicality I probably often choose to stand still for fear of getting chopped down altogether. It's that old attitude that I used to have such disdain for - that trying nothing and therefore going nowhere feels less damaging than trying to move and moving slowly; because at least if you're not trying you can futilely cling to the belief that you could be going somewhere, you're just choosing not to - thereby allowing yourself to believe you're still in control.

This attitude really only holds up until everyone else around you gets their act together enough to start moving, leaving little old you feeling drastically and embarassingly left behind.

3 comments:

Skeptical Simsam said...

Moving out - yay, with me.

Fancy Feff said...

You keep saying that...but you can't cook and don't hang your towels up, and the rental market is a disaster.

Anonymous said...

firstly: moving out is a yay.
i'll come sleep on your couch. not that you'd have one, being the poor full time student you will be and the completely broke even more full time student i would be.
but seriously. move out. and leave your wardrobe please.

secondly: perhaps your fear of failure stems from never having to experience it. you know, fear of the other, the shadow, who you might become if you're not who you think you should be.

please excuse my overanalytical psychobabble. blame english extension.

why is this comment so long?
OH MY GOD I'M YOU!
seriously, could your entries be any longer?
nah, i love them. don't ever change.
although to be honest, i've never read one all the way through. i tend to skim. sorry.
LOVE!

Followers

About Me

My photo
You see, the thing is, I have a lot of thoughts. I think I have more thoughts than the average person. And while you are getting a highly censored version of my thoughts here, I feel like I at least want my trivial musings to have some sort of semi permanent area, where, if necessary, I can return to and admire my own wit and wisdom.